Task 2, Week 2
NOTE This task will count as the 2nd Assignment of the
course. So each of you needs to hand this in as it will form part
of your grade..
Due Date: Monday, 10th of September 2012.
Go to a newspaper or corpus of your choice and select 5 sentences.
(maybe the first five lines of the main news story or the first 5
sentences of the corpus.
- Transliterate this and translate it into English as best you
- Identify all the main verbs, the auxiliaries (and what kind of
auxiliary), any modals and any light verbs.
- Also see if you can identify what arguments the verb has and
note any case marking if you can.
For example, taking one of the Austen sentences, you should produce
something like the information below.
Mrs. Long has just been there and she told me about it.
Subcategorization Information about the Verbs:
|Clause 1: ||Main Verb: be || Aux.Asp: has||Clause 2: ||Main Verb: tell
- be (Verb of Existence)
- Argument 1: Theme (Mrs. Long), Subject, Nominative
- Argument 2: Location (there), Oblique, PP
- tell (Verb of Communication)
- Argment 1: Agent (she), Subject, Nominative
- Argment 2: Goal (me), Object, Accusative
- Argment 3: Theme (about it), Oblique, PP