Raum G 218
Telephone: + 49 7531 883028
e-mail: tafseer dOt khan @t uni-konstanz.de
My research interests are related to computational linguistics, linguistics and computer processing of Urdu language. My PhD dissertation covers semantic issues related to spatial case markers of 10 South Asian languages. Earlier on, I worked on machine translation. I worked in the project The Role of Semantic Fields in the Development of Postpositions and Case Markers. Currently, I am working in Urdu ParGram Project .
- Clustering Urdu verbs on the basis of related aspectual auxilliaries and light verbs, In Proceedings of KONVENS (Conference on Natural Language Processing) 2010, Saarbrücken, 2010.
- Unaccusativity/Unergativity Distinction in Urdu, Journal of South Asian Linguistics, CSLI Online Publication, 2010.
- The Redevelopment of Indo-Aryan Case Systems from a Lexical Semantic Perspective, Miriam Butt and Tafseer Ahmed, Empirical Approaches to Morphological Case (special volume of Morphology), Springer:Netherland, 2010. link
- Transliterating Urdu for a Broad-Coverage Urdu/Hindi LFG Grammar, Muhammad Kamran Malik, Tafseer Ahmed, Sebastian Sulger, Tina Bögel, Atif Gulzar, Ghulam Raza, Sarmad Hussain and Miriam Butt, In Proceedings of the Seventh conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'10), Valletta, 2010.pdf
- Spatial Expressions and Case in South Asian languages, PhD dissertation, 2009.
- Roman to Urdu Transliteration using word list, Online Proceedings of Conference of Language and Technology 09, Lahore, 2009. pdf
- Hindi to Urdu Transliteration: Beyond simple transliteration, Bushra Jawaid and Tafseer Ahmed, Online Proceedings of Conference of Language and Technology 09, Lahore, 2009. pdf
- Ablative, Sociative and Instrumental Case Markers, Conference of Language and Technology, Peshawar, 2007. pdf
- Spatial, Temporal and Structural Uses of Urdu ko, Workshop on Case and Aspect in South Asian Languages, LFG06 , Konstanz, 2006. pdf
An updated handout on this topic is presented at Universität Stuttgart in January 2007.
- English to Urdu Transliterator, CRULP Annual Student Report, Lahore, 2003. pdf
Handout / Manuscripts
- Modeling different Semantic usages of spatial markers using underspecified features, Workshop on Spatial Expresions, Tromso, 2009.
- Non-canonical Object marking in Nepali and Mainpuri, 4th Himalayan Language Symposium, Gothenburg, 2008.pdf
- Instrument as Path: Reconciling the semantic usages of Urdu se and Pashto pa, Workshop on "Morphosyntactic aspects of Instruments and Instrumentals", Sydney, 2008. pdf
- Spatial Sources of Structural Case, Workshop on "A Non-Canonical Perspective on Case", Konstanz, 2008. pdf
- Development of Case in South Asian Languages, Miriam Butt, Tafseer Ahmed and Tikaram Poudel. DGfS Workshop Sprachwandelvergleich, Bamberg, 2008. pdf
- NCTV in Urdu/Hindi and Nepali, Workshop on Transitivity and case alternations, Stuttgart, 2008. pdf
- Non-canonical argument marking: Beyond volitionality, specificity and animacy, Miriam Butt, Tafseer Ahmed. Workshop on Case, Word Order and Prominence in Argument Structure, Nijmegen, 2007. pdf
- Unaccusativity and Underspecification in Urdu, Conference on Theoretical and Computational Perspectives on Underspecification, Stuttgart, 2007. pdf
- Dative Subjects, Miriam Butt, Scott Grimm, Tafseer Ahmed. NWO/DFG Workshop on Optimal Sentence Processing, Nijmegen, 2006. pdf
- English to Urdu Machine Translation, Tafseer Ahmed, Sadaf Alvi. manuscript, Karachi, 2002. pdf
- Text Mining for Urdu, Tafseer Ahmed and Sadaf Alvi, Conference of Language and Technology 09, Lahore, 2009.
- Case: A Semantic System, Miriam Butt, Tafseer Ahmed and Tikaram Poudel. SFB 471 International Colloquium, Konstanz, 2008.pdf
- Implementing Lexical Semantics through the Urdu ParGram Grammar, Miriam Butt, Tafseer Ahmed. Conference of Language and Technology, Peshawar, 2007.
- Computational Grammar, Sarmad Hussain, Tafseer Ahmed, Nayyara Karamat, Shanza Nayyer. 2nd Asian Regional Training on Local Language Computing, Siem Reap, 2005. pdf
- Urdu on Linux – International Support, Workshop on Open Source Software for Economic Development, PAF-KIET, Karachi, 2003. ppt
- Machine Translation and NLP, Pakistani Languages Software Development Conference and Seminar , KU and KIIT, Karachi, 2002. ppt
- Text Mining, Pakistani Languages Software Development Conference and Seminar , KU and KIIT, Karachi, 2002. ppt
- Open Type Fonts, Urdu Software Development Workshop, FAST-NUCES, Lahore, 2001. ppt
- Urdu-II, Universitaet Konstanz, 2007.
- Compiler Construction I and II, University of Karachi, 2000-2005
- Natural Language Processing, University of Karachi, 1999-2005.
- PhD, Universität Konstanz, 2009.
- MCS (Master In Computer Sceince), University of Karachi, 1998.