This is the 121st issue of the Newsletter published by the Department of Linguistics at the University of Konstanz.
It covers informations about the plans of the members of the department in July 2018 as well as short reports abut events, presentations, etc. in June 2018.
Events at/by the Department
On Thursday, July 5th, there will be a guest lecture by Mirjam Schmalz (University of Zurich) as part of Magdalena Leitner's MA Seminar "Varieties of English". Mirjam will talk about her research project on perceptual dialectology of English on St Kitts and Nevis. Venue and times are as follows:
-Room G 530
-Time: 10:00-11:30 h
From July 16th to August 2nd, students of the seminar „Migration und Sprache - am Beispiel der romanischen Sprachen“ will exhibit their posters about language contact and migration in romance languages. The vernissage is on July 16th at 6pm in the Bürgerbüro Konstanz (Untere Laube 24). Everyone is welcome!
The project is a cooperation of the seminar and the integration commissioner of Konstanz and is supported by the Transfer Lehre Team of the university.
The research unit "Questions at the interfaces" (FOR2111) hosted a Workshop on Meaning in non-canonical Questions (MiQ). The event took place from June 7th to 9th at Hedicke's Terracota (downtown Konstanz).
A number of members from our department also presented their work. The program can be found on the conference website.
The 34th South Asian Languages Analysis Roundtable (SALA-34) is was held at our department from June 19th to 21st. Additionally, a one-day workshop on the prosody of South Asian languages was organized before the main conference on June 18th. More information on both events is available on the SALA34 website.
Members of the Baby Speech Lab participated in the "Lange Nacht der Wissenschaft" on June 23th. Bettina Braun, Nathalie Czeke and Katharina Zahner gave a talk on early language acquisition (talk entitled „Sprechen lernen beginnt mit dem Zuhören - schon vor der Geburt“). Janet Grijzenhout, Monika Lindauer and Talina Weber talked about later acquisition processes in production (talk entitled „Von den ersten Wörtern zu komplexen Sätzen“).
On June 26th, Barbara Meisterernst gave a talk on Chinese syntax and semantics (precise title to be confirmed).
From June 27th to 29th the department was hosting the fifth annual workshop on the Semantics of African, Asian and Austronesian Languages (TripleA 5).
It has been organized by Ryan Bochnak, Miriam Butt, Erlinde Meertens and Mark Zymla. Further information can be found on the conference website.
Department and Research Colloquium in July
|05.07.||Louise McNally (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona): Idioms and the syntax/semantics interface of descriptive content vs. reference"(joint work with Berit Gehrke)|
|12.07.||Kilu von Prince (HU Berlin): t.b.a.|
|19.07.||Antje Strauß: t.b.a.|
Department and Research Colloquium in June
|07.06.||Karsten Steinhauer (McGill University): How plastic is the adult brain for language processing? – ERP signatures of L2 acquisition and L1 attrition
|14.06.||Xavier Villalba (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona): t.b.a.|
Conferences, Workshops and Presentations
- George Walkden is giving a talk on July 5th at the Wuppertaler Linguistisches Forum with the title "In defence of the information-structural approach to V3 in Germanic".
- Farhat Jabeen is giving a talk at the 20th International Congress of
Linguistics (ICL 20) in Cape Town, South Africa, from July 2nd to 6th. The title of her talk
is "Clash of boundaries: Realization of focus vs. intonational phrase boundary tones in Urdu/Hindi".
- Anna-Maria Waibel will present a poster on “Evaluating Speech Comprehension in Patients with Disorders of Consciousness: Towards an
Optimized Paradigm for N400-Effect Elicitation”, (co-authored by Czypionka, A., Spiteri, S., Hassa, T., Kaps, M., & Eulitz, C.) at SAMBA
(Salzburg Mind - Brain Annual Meeting) in Salzburg, Austria, on July 12th to 13th.
- Moritz Meßmer and Mark-Matthias Zymla present at Lexical Functional
Grammar (LFG) conference in Vienna, Austria, from July 17th to 19th. Teir talk has the title "The Glue
Semantics Work Bench: A Modular Toolkit for Exploring Linear Logic and
- Magdalena Leitner will present a paper at the ISLE 5 conference in London, 17-20 July 2018. The title of the talk is "Advice on early 18th-century relationship problems: Investigating the pragmatics of an emergent tradition"
- Ryan Bochnak was presenting a colloquium talk at the University of Oslo on June 1st. The title was "Looking into the future."
- Aikaterini-Lida Kalouli and Richard Crouch also presented their joint work with the title “Named Graphs for Semantic Representations” at *SEM 2018 in New Orleans, USA, from June 5th to 6th.
- Andreas Trotzke gave invited talks at PH Thurgau (June 12th; title: "Linguistische Inhalte in der schulischen Praxis: Chancen & Perspektiven) and at TU Dortmund (June 20th; title: "Wie geil ist das denn?! Ein Plädoyer für einen funktionsorientierten Satzbegriff im Grammatikunterricht").
- The following members of our department presented their work at the 9th Speech Prosody in Poznań, Poland, from June 13th to 16th:
- Nicole Dehé, Bettina Braun and Daniela Wochner presented their work on "The prosody of rhetorical vs. information-seeking questions in Icelandic".
- Farhat Jabeen and Bettina Braun presented a poster with the title "Production and perception of prosodic cues for narrow and corrective focus in Urdu/Hindi".
- Jana Neitsch, Bettina Braun and Nicole Dehé presented a poster on "The role of prosody for the interpretation of rhetorical questions in German“.
- Daniela Wochner and Nicole Dehé presented a poster entitled "Prosody meets pragmatics: a production study on German verb-first sentences".
- Jana Neitsch, Bettina Braun and Nicole Dehé presented a poster with the title "Identifying rhetorical questions in German: the perceptual relevance of pitch accent type, voice quality and the discourse particle denn" at Labpohn 2018 in Lisboa, Portugal, from June 19th to 22nd.
- Fernanda Barrientos Contreras presented the poster "Regional variation in loanword adaptation: phonological or acoustic repair?” (co-authored with Deepthi Gopal, U. of Cambridge) at Labpohn 2018.
- Tanja Rinker, Ramona Baumgartner, Frank Fuchshuber and Janet Grijzenhout presented a talk on "The role of parental input across linguistic domains in multilingual children in the school entry phase" at the Child Language Symposium (CLS2018) at the University of Reading, UK, from June 25th to 26th.
- Eva Csipak gave an invited talk in the Tübingen FoKo Germanistische Linguistik on June 27th entitled "V3-Adverbialsätze im Standarddeutschen".
- Carmen Widera gave a talk with the title "L’usage du pronom explétif il en français moderne – une enquête expérimentale" ('The use of the expletive pronoun il in modern French - an experimental study') at the annual conference of the Association for French Language Studies AFLS2018 that took place at the Université de Toulouse, France, from June 27th to 29th .
Katharina Kaiser and Carmen Widera will attend the 2nd Crete Summer School of Linguistics that will take place in Rethymnon, Greece, from July 16th to 27th.
We congratulate Marieke Einfeldt, who was awarded with the "Professor Nicole Müller Prize" for the best student presentation at the International Child Phonology Conference (June 18th to 20th, Chania, Greece)!
Andreas Trotzke received a Zukunftskolleg Mentorship grant to collaborate with Prof. Anastasia Giannakidou (U Chicago). Our congratulations!
Andreas Trotzke and Tanja Kupisch have established a new international conference series on "Modern Linguistics & Language Didactics" (LiDi). The second meeting will take place at Ruhr-University Bochum in March 2019. More information (incl. invited speakers and CfP) can be found here.
Publications by Members of the Department
- Trotzke, Andreas, Markus Bader & Lyn Frazier. 2018. Third factors and the
performance interface in language design. In Anna Maria Di Sciullo (ed.), Biolinguistics. Volume I: Foundations, 301-335. London: Routledge.